Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Rings





After Jeff proposed he asked me, "Did you know it was coming?" I responded, "Well, until the day of, no. But, when you asked me to go on a picnic, which we never do, at the end of October when I have to cover myself in all but the sheets on our bed, I was a little wise to the idea." So, he asked me on a picnic at Piney Run Park, where we've gone on many a bike ride. It was sweet, and I could tell that even though he had bought the ring two months earlier, he hadn't concocted a grand plan. He was just so nervous. Plus, had he tried to devise an elaborate scheme, I would've figured him out much sooner.

Anyway, he bought my ring at Littman Jewelers in Westminster. They are incredibly nice at that location, so we decided to buy his band and my bandS there. Yes, I said my bands. That's plural. I'm not a jewelry monger (the engagement ring was the first jewelry that he bought for me in our seven years together), but my engagement ring needed two bands to accompany it. Yes, needed. Though I teach English, I appreciate symmetry. See how nice they look? BAM!
His ring is tungsten carbide. Apparently, he'd rather have his finger removed in a wood chipper accident than lose his band. So, he picked the strongest he could find.


FYI: if you plan to engrave a tungsten ring, it's best to choose a laser engraving. It's more expensive, but the engraving is deeper. I did not know this bit of information, so his engraving was "etched" onto the ring. Had I known earlier, I could have ordered the laser engraving, but I brought it in too late. (I was afraid to bring it sooner; otherwise, I might have spoiled the surprise of what I had engraved on his ring.) His ring now says "I love you more 8-20-2011." I thought it was pretty clever. His first response was, "You suck," which means it really was quite clever. Wife-1, Husband-0.

Though people have discouraged me from having my rings soldered, I cannot handle their moving around all willy nilly. These people told me the ring will "never be clean enough." Regardless, lack of movement may win over "not being clean enough."


*Note: Last two pictures courtesy of Erick Stocklin Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment