Wednesday, April 25, 2012

First Dance Songs (Country Edition)

Well, I love country music. This post will probably spawn 76 more. Oh, and our first dance song was country music. I'm not talking super twangy country. I'm talking pop country, so all of you haters just put on your "listen and like it" britches. 


My favorite country group for sweet love songs is Lady Antebellum. It took awhile to narrow down our song. What did we choose?


#1: Lady Antebellum -- "When You Got a Good Thing" -- It's a duet who sings to my marriage's soul. It talks about leaning on the other person through the good and bad and how the relationship will make it forever. I know I love Jason Mraz's "I Won't Give Up," but I really couldn't trade our first song even if my husband does confuse it with "Just a Kiss" by the same group, haha.


Lyrics Excerpt (from azlyrics.com):
Oh I can't believe I finally found you baby 
Happy ever after, after all this time 
Oh there's gonna be some ups and downs 
but with you to wrap my arms around 
I'm fine 

So baby, hold on tight 
Don't let go 
Hold onto the love we're making 
Cause baby when the ground starts shaking 
You gotta know when you've got a good thing 

You know you keep on bringing out the best of me 
And I need you now even more than the air I breathe 
You can make me laugh when I wanna cry 
This will last forever I just know, I know 

And here it is (with lyrics) on YouTube: 


Three other Lady Antebellum songs to consider:
  • "Just a Kiss"
  • "Our Kind of Love"
  • "I Run to You"
#2: Love and Theft - "She's Amazing" -- The CD is not yet out, but this song is on YouTube. If you're in love, you'll love this song. That's what's up. 

Lyrics Excerpt: 
She walks through the door
Wrapped up in a sheet
Floating on air 
An angel in her bare feet
Leaving me speechless.
She's the light at dawn
She's the cloud I'm on
She's amazing. 

Check it out on YouTube (since it's not on iTunes at the moment): 


#3: Zac Brown Band - "Got Whatever It Is"-- A guy singing about a girl who just has "whatever it is" that makes her special. It's cute. It makes me think of sitting on the dock and dipping your feet into the water.

Check it out on YouTube:






#4: Thompson Square - "Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not?" -- Not super slow but not one to get jiggy to, haha. We really wanted our DJ to play this as we kissed at the altar, but that didn't work out. Oh well, we still exited to "Signed, Sealed, Delivered."

Check it out on YouTube:




#5: Restless Heart - "Feel My Way to You" -- This song is a little bit older (doesn't sound older), but I've always loved its message.

Check it out on YouTube (live version was the only one I could find): 



#6: Phil Vassar - "That's When I Love You" ("Just Another Day in Paradise" is another great one by him)--I have to tell you that I'm really glad Phil Vassar started singing his own songs. Initially, he was just a song writer for big names like Tim McGraw, but he eventually started singing his own. He has a great voice; he should've been singing all along!


Check it out on YouTube: 




#7: Blake Shelton - "God Gave Me You" -- If you're religious at all, this might be up your alley. Sometimes, it really feels like God just plucked someone from nowhere at all and sat them on your doorstep.

Check it out on YouTube:



#8: Big and Rich - "Lost in the Moment" -- Jeff and I first danced to "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy," so Big and Rich has a special place in my heart. Though they are well known for their line dance inspiring "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy," this song is a pleasant, sweet, slow surprise.

Check it out on YouTube:


#9: Lee Brice - "Woman Like You"-- Jeff texted me one day to tell me that I needed to listen to this song because it made him think of me. Need I say more?

Check it out on YouTube:





#10: Josh Turner - "Soulmate"-- If you've never listened to Josh Turner, please be warned: he has a voice deeper than the Grand Canyon. (Apparently, Natasha Bedingfield sings a "Soulmate" song. I didn't give it a listen, but I bet it's good. However, she's not country, so she does not get a video on this post. Sorry, Natasha.)

Check it out on YouTube:



#11: Gary Allan - "The One"-- A classic country love song. Who doesn't love Gary Allan?

Check it out on YouTube:


#12: Brantley Gilbert - "Fall Into Me"-- slow start but good song

Check it out on YouTube:


#13: Emerson Drive - "Fall into Me" -- Brantley Gilbert's song made me think of this one, which I've loved for a long time. It's a faster paced song, but not one you'll be booty popping to. Well, unless you like to booty pop, then you're free to booty pop all you wish.

Check it out on YouTube:



#14: Rascal Flatts - "God Bless the Broken Road"-- Another classic. I considered removing it from the list, but I just can't do it.


Check it out on YouTube: 


Many other country songs deserve a spot on the list, but I'm stopping at 14 because 14 is a lot, dagnabit. I'll write another post with more country songs, but I'll feature some other genres first. Feel free to comment with a country song that you'd like to see shine in another post. Also, please forgive me for ceasing my lyrics excerpts. Like I said, 14 songs is a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment